Saturday 4 October 2014

Hot Star Large Fried Chicken - Sunnybank

A new addition to the food scene at Sunnybank is Hot Star Chicken. Having recently returned from Taiwan, I was intrigued at how this would stack up to the authentic Taiwanese Fried Chicken. So the thing to keep in mind is Hot Star Chicken (豪大大雞排, literally very very big chicken fillet) is the first and largest Fried Chicken Fillet chain store in Taiwan.
Having been there on multiple occasions (to their flagship store in Shilin no less), I had great expectations for a store carrying the same name. ヾ( ・`⌓´・)ノ゙

 First I'll start off with a couple of shots of the Shilin Flagship.(⁎˃ᆺ˂)











As you can see, the Shilin branch is quite literally a portable food cart that gets wheeled out to the night markets every night. Nevertheless the fried chicken was the best I've ever had. So the first Brisbane branch opened in Market Square in Sunnybank, where the old Crispy Express used to be situated (=^-ω-^=). There was quite a healthy queue when I arrived. Hot Star's menu consists of only a few options, and I decided to try a few of them ~(=^‥^)ノ.







Upon ordering, everyone is provided with a receipt number, as well as a plastic bag to await their number.






The main attraction at Hot Star is obviously their chicken, and my gosh it was wonderful. Eating it was almost like going back to Taiwan again. The chicken was crispy, juicy and not oily. You can see from the photo how big the chicken is when compared to my hand. As I walked around with the chicken, I could constantly see looks of admiration from passers by. This was a very very good piece of chicken indeed.


One of the sides they offer is curly fries, which were delightfully fried to a crisp. I suppose they want to differentiate themselves from the usual fast food chains which offer straight chips. Very yummy indeed.


Another side option was the fried mushrooms, which my associate ordered. She said that the flavours were quite tangy, definitely not what you'd be expecting from a fried mushroom, but nice nevertheless.


One point that HotStar does tend to focus on is that their chicken fillets are made from real chicken pieces (as opposed to mashed up chicken meat formed in a shape of a fillet), so all of their chicken fillets have an actual piece of bone in them, being the top bit of the chicken, you can easily distinguish the wishbone and the ribcage of the chicken.

In summary, I absolutely loved Hot Star. I can honestly say that this is genuine Taiwanese Fried Chicken. With this establishment having opened, I may never go to KFC ever again. 
Special mention goes to the cashier who offered to group my chips and chicken into a set without my having realised they offered set deals. Excellent customer service, I'll definitely be back.

Price Range: Under $10 per item

Taste: 9.5/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 9.5/10
Environment: 7/10
Hot Star Large Fried Chicken on Urbanspoon

1 comment: