Saturday 21 March 2015

Chur Burger - Fortitude Valley


In my research into the best burgers in Brisbane for our upcoming guide, one of the places I knew I couldnt miss out on before doing my guide was Chur Burger, which has long been on my list of places I need to try out.

After ordering my cake at Cheung's one day, I decided it was about time that I went to try Chur. It was a short walk from Chinatown to Constance Street.


Chur Burger is situated under Tryp Hotel in Constance Street. It is pretty impossible to miss. 


The entrance is reminiscent of a Melbourne laneway. I guess that is whats popular at the moment. I ordered and paid at the counter, and found my seat indoors (as usual).


The indoors decor followed on from the outdoor type of decor, with the graffiti look. I got a table at the back corner of the restaurant and got table water quite promptly. 

I was quite pleased to arrive relatively early (11.45am) because in 15 minutes, the line was out the door. Being one of the earlier customers means that my food did not take too long to come out.


Whislt I was waiting for my food, I did note the definition of Chur on the back wall. I posted it here because a lot of friends (and myself included) have been curious about what 'Chur' stood for.


Anyway, after not very long, my food arrived. I got the Beef Burger, and Chips. 


It is a bit of a regret on my part that Mr Burger Conniseur didnt go with me on this particular lunch. I would have really appreciated his input into this critique, but sadly dear reader, you'll just have to live with my amateur review. 

To begin, I decided to order the beef burger because after reading quite a few other reviews, the general consensus by other diners seemed to advise sticking to more conservative tastes, which agreed with me just fine (being the boring conservative person I am). Upon ordering, I was given a choice in whether I minded my beef patty being medium done. I guess this accommodates for the people who do not like rare patties.  Sadly for me, it all went downhill from that point onwards.


I found both the bun and the patty to have a very rough texture, which was surprising when considering that the patty was already medium done. I found the texture of the bun to also be rather rough, although not stale like the ones at Red Hook, but nevertheless, I would have preferred a softer bun. I liked the mustard mayo, but sadly this was really overpowered by the pickles. The tomato jam was a nice touch though, a bit different from the usual tomato sauce.



Usually, I am a big fan of chips/fries. In this instance though, I felt really quite disappointed. As you can see in the photo, the chips were completely covered in chili salt. It was tear inducingly salty. To the extent that I was pretty much unable to finish the chips because my kidneys might have broken down before then. This was particularly surprising because I went before the crowd, I would have expected the chefs to have more attention to detail when there's only one customer.

Price Range: $10 - $20 per person

Taste: 4/10
Value: 5/10 (price is acceptable, but once you consider that the burger is sub par, then no, not value for money)
Service: 7/10 (staff were warm and friendly)
Environment: 7/10


Chur Burger on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment