Sunday 8 March 2015

Grand Central Hotel (Fihellys Bar) - Brisbane CBD


Two weeks ago, a close confidant and myself got tickets to see the advanced screening of Kingsman. Needless to say we were very excited to go. With the movie starting at 7pm (on a work day no less), it meant that we had to hunt for our dinner early. By early, I mean 5.30pm. For all those who are acquainted with myself, you should all know that I am very pedantic about my meal times. I dont really consider a meal to be 'dinner' unless you have it between 6 and 9pm (anything before that can only be considered a late afternoon tea). So going on a quest for food at 5.30 didnt really feel right. Anyway, upon recommendation from a friend, we decided to get dinner at the Grand Central Hotel.


We arrived to find that the dining area had apparently been fully booked up for a dinner event, so we had to be seated in the corner of the rather rowdy bar area.


Upon receiving the menu, my confidant, who claimed that he was embarking on a diet, told me that he was going to order something light.


On the other hand, I was quite curious about the quality of steak which could be offered at a price of $12.50, and settled for the steak and drink combo.


Without much ado, we ordered at the counter and were given a number.


With my drink, I ordered a lemon and lime bitters, which was very yummy. My confidant indicated that it looked a bit strong and bitter, but that was alright, because I really enjoy the extra bitterness to the drink.



My confidant (you know who you are!), who claimed was embarking on a diet, actually ordered a pork belly. I stole (or rather claimed) quite a bit of it, and found the pork to be very tender and the meat was infused with flavour, whilst the skin was crunchy but not overly hard. We found the portion to be rather small. 




Next came the my steak, which I ordered rare and with pepper sauce. I found the steak to be a bit to thin for my linking, so thin in fact that it was probably not able to be cooked 'rare', so what came out was more or less medium rare. The sauce itself was comforting, but lacked the zing that you usually get from pepper sauce. The salad was pretty fresh and had a nice amount of sauce to it. What stood out in my meal was actually the beer battered chips, which were super crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. They went really well with the excess pepper sauce and steak juices.

Price Range: $10 - $30 per person

Taste: 7/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 6/10
Environment: 8/10

Fihelly's Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment