Thursday 2 April 2015

Little Greek Tavern - West End


In my quest to find new and interesting foods to try and review, I was invited to a birthday dinner at the Little Greek Taverna, and jumped at the opportunity to try something new. It is situated at West End, within walking distance from the CBD, and near the Three Monkeys.


We sat inside, and it was a bit squishy for a large group. The whole place filled up pretty soon so it was lucky we had a reservation that evening. 


It actually took me quite a while to decide what to order, because of my unfamiliarity with Greek Food. I probably should do a bit more research before going next time. Without going into too much detail, I'll list out a couple of things that our companions had that night.


This was the Chicken Souvlaki


This was the Kid's Keftedes (meatballs) served with chips.


This was the Chicken Yiros, which Mr Burger Conniseur ate and quite enjoyed.


I tried the Lamb Yiros that night. According to my research, Yiros are vertically spit roasted meats, which are cooked in a way to achieve a level of moisture and crispiness. To that end, I found it to be really quite delicious. I was particularly impressed with the lemon-y and herby tang to the dish. It was also served with traditional lemon potatoes on the side. Normally I don't usually have a liking for sour dishes, but this definitely opened my eyes. An interesting note that I made as well about Greek food, was that despite it appearing to be quite small when served on the plate, it turned out to be rather filling. 


Mr Burger Connoisseur and I also shared a bowl of hot chips. They were hot and crispy, and the herbs were a nice touch.


I didnt order a dessert for that night, but this was a slice of the Galaktombouriko (Custard Pastry)


Whilst this was the Loukoumi (Rose Turkish Delight)


Whilst I didnt get dessert, I finished off my meal with a Little Greek Coffee. What is Greek Coffee you ask? Apparently it is a variant of Turkish unfiltered coffee, served like a short black with the grounds allowed to settle down the bottom of the cup. It was an interesting experience, and I wouldnt mind trying it again.

Price Range: $15 - $25 per person

Taste: 8/10
Value: 7.5/10
Service: 7.5/10
Environment: 7/10


Little Greek Taverna on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment