Monday 23 November 2015

Revisit: Pappa Rich - Brisbane CBD


Having already been to Pappa Rich and written about it on one occasion, I was pleasantly surprised to receive an invite to attend the exclusive bloggers lunch after the official opening last Saturday. It was a great opportunity for us to try out some more of their menu, and report it to our loyal readers.



There was a slight confusion because some of the wait staff were unaware of the event, but we were soon seated in the bloggers area, outside on the terrace. It was slightly warmer than our liking, but not unbearable. As mentioned in my prior post, the environment was clean and welcoming, service was a lot more attentive and friendly (especially as we were not in any hurry to rush back to work this time), and staff appeared to be a lot better trained. 



Again, the table had a buzzer, and we could order via the sheet provided. Having ordered at Sushi Edo last time, I gained a new found appreciation of being able to add remarks to my order. As such, I was able to adjust my food and drinks order to better suit my personal preferences.


Again, water was provided on request.


Between my companion and myself, we ordered two mains, one snack, two drinks and one dessert to share. The first to arrive was the Ipoh Kway Teow Noodles Soup, served with steamed chicken. The first thing that struck me was that the chicken breast was served boneless, and had a nice soy vinegar dressing with it, that made it quite refreshing on a hot summers day. The noodles were flat rice noodles served with delicious light broth, special mention goes to the fried onions on top, which was super fragrant and added an extra dimension to the dish. I noted that the portion of noodles provided was significantly less than our other main, but it allowed me capacity to try all the other dishes.


My companion ordered the Curry Fish Fillet Noodle Soup. As I'm not usually a big fan of curries and laksas, I thought that I wouldnt be eating much of it, but to my surprise (and his), I ate quite a bit of this dish. The fish was still very crispy despite being dipped in the curry soup. The added tomato was refreshing, and the soup wasn't as spicy as other ones I've had, whilst retaining a bit of creaminess from the coconut milk. The noodles were vermicelli, cooked to a nice springy but not hard texture, and our preference for no eggplant was well received and catered for without question.


Our drinks came shortly after the mains. I note that other tables seemed to get their drinks before their food though. We ordered the Open Sesame and Matcha on the Rocks. We asked for the drinks to be served less sweet, and this was provided to us with a warm smile. I tried both drinks, and the ice cream was quite smooth and refreshing. Of particular note was the Open Sesame, which contained freshly ground sesame seeds, which were extremely fragrant. I expected the drink to be rich and filling to the extent where it would impact on my ability to finish my meal, in actuality, it was a lot lighter than I thought it would be, and very milky, which neutralised a lot of the spice from the curry noodle.


Pappa fried chicken wings came out next, and they were really tasty. The first thing that came to my notice, was that the chicken skin and fat was relatively yellow, which indicates that the chicken was corn fed. I could definitely appreciate the difference in the texture of the meat, it was a lot smoother and had much more chicken flavour than other wings I've had before. Whilst the chicken was nice and crunchy, the batter wasn't too oily. I really enjoyed it.



For dessert, we tried the Roti Banana, served with Matcha Ice Cream. I really enjoyed how flaky and soft the roti was. The layers were super thin, and they were springy and had pieces of banana between the sheets. The ice cream added a lot of freshness to it and as mentioned before, it was very smooth and creamy. The only draw back was that the pastry was a little oily for our tastes. 

Espresso and Matcha were invited guests of Pappa Rich and Wasamedia, but as always, our opinions are solely our own.

For our previous post with ratings, please see link here.

PappaRich Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment