Saturday 14 May 2016

Espresso and Matcha's Foodie Odyessy - Melbourne Day 9 Lunch : Pellegrinis Espresso Bar


With our less than ideal Italian the day before, we decided to try our luck at Pellegrinis which quite a few of our friends had recommended we go instead. Apparently it is quite an old establishment, and has quite the fan following.


We arrived for a late lunch, and there was room for us on the bar, so we were seated quite promptly. We were warmly welcomed by the staff, who treated customers like old friends and engaged them in quite interesting discussions.


What we found very interesting about the store is its noticeable lack of menu. When asking for one, we were prompted to make our selection from the signs on the wooden board. 


Upon ordering, we were provided with some buttered bread, whilst light and fluffy, they appeared to be akin to those easily found in supermarkets.


Being an espresso bar, we had coffees of course. Opting for my regular choice of cappuccino, I was advised that traditionally Italians only drink cappuccinos before midday, and as such, I amended my order to a latte. It came out quite quickly after, and was one of the best lattes I've had. With a thick rich foam, and a strong body with minimal acidity.


My companion ordered the spaghetti marinara, which he found to be quite average. With some prawns, mussels and tomato sauce with spaghetti, he said he would have liked the seafood to be fresher, but the pasta had a considerably softer texture, but was very filling. 


I ordered a serve of lasagne, which was served with a generous portion of Parmesan. The pasta was just as I like it, soft without being soggy, but I could see that some people would consider it to be not al dente. I really enjoyed the rich taste of tomato, with the added meatiness of the beef. This was definitely one of the best lasagne that I have had for a long time.

Price Range: $20 - $25pp

Taste: 8.5/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 8/10

Pellegrini's Espresso Bar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment