Monday 18 July 2016

Taros Edward Street - Brisbane CBD


I was greatly disappointed when I heard that Taros on Adelaide Street in the City was closed when the building underwent construction work. Having made the trek uphill to find I was to be deprived of ramen brought me immeasurable pain. Thankfully the friend I was heading there with had heard rumours of this and managed to track down Taro's temporary store on Edward Street, where they were situated whilst their new shopfront was being built along Queen Street.



I made my order and was promptly seated. I noted the décor was clean and simple with a complimentary fact sheet for you to peruse while you waited. The simplistic feel of the store was very similar to what they had in their old store, and most of the signs were the same. Being closer to the mall meant that during the lunch hour the restaurant was definitely far more packed than I had remembered.



Whilst it was self service, what I liked about Taro’s was the fact there was no limit on your choice of condiments. Naturally I took a generous portion of garlic in anticipation of my meal. 


Lunch was very promptly served – I had ordered a Tonkotsu Ramen, and upgraded it to a set with the Charsiu Rice.



The pork was delightfully tender without being fatty, the egg was perfectly cooked with a runny yolk and the soup was smooth. While I understand Taro serves their Ramen al dente, it was unfortunate in this instance it was slightly more al dente than usual. Overall though I enjoyed the Ramen which is still significantly better than comparable stores in Brisbane. The Charsiu Rice was a nice filler with mix of preserved vegetables and pork pieces laced with radish. I found the radish a bit too overpowering for my tastes but enjoyed the savoury taste of the pork and delicious smooth texture of the rice. Even with limited kitchen facilities, Taros still doesn't disappoint and I cannot wait for their Queen Street store to open soon.

Price Range: $15 - $25pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 8/10

Taro's Ramen Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment