Tuesday 6 December 2016

Reef Seafood and Sushi - Newstead


Continuing on my extensive quest to eat all the Japanese food of Brisbane, I found myself at Newstead after work last Friday, with a super strong craving for sashimi, after having received quite a stunning recommendation from a close friend.


We arrived to find the store separated into a raw seafood area, and a Japanese/cooked food area. The line for ordering was quite substantial, so we made sure to take a look at what was on offer before lining up. 







Without being given a menu by any of the super busy waitstaff, we had to awkwardly ask the guy in front of us to have a look at the menu 


We got a number after ordering...


...and hunted down a table.


To begin, we shared a ship of assorted sashimi. Containing Salmon, Tuna, Cod and Kingfish, they weren't overly thin slices, and the fish was definitely very fresh, which we really enjoyed. but I would have thought that high quality fish would have been better suited to freshly ground wasabi as opposed to the the processed wasabi that we were provided.


My companion ordered the deluxe bento box, which came in a paper box, with a plastic frame on the inside. 


In line with our recommendation, the spread was very impressive. Containing a selection of tempura seafood and veges, sashimi, sushi and some other assorted cooked seafood, I don't believe I've ever had such a generous bento box. It was served with miso soup and some dipping sauce for the selection of tempura, but I was surprised in the obvious lack of rice to go with the bento. On the topic of rice, the rice in the sushi was quite clumpy and moist to a point where the individual rice granules were quite indistinguishable, which was slightly disappointing.


I ordered the salmon and tuna chirashi, which was came with some salad, miso and pickles. 


Like the bento box, my rice was also very soft and clumpy, so I didn't really like it too much. The fish however, was quite generous in portion and fresh. The salad was appetizing and I liked the balance of the light vinegarette, along with the mellow miso.

Price Range: $30 - $50pp

Taste: 7/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10

Reef Seafood and Sushi Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment