Saturday 25 February 2017

Campos - Fortitude Valley


With the continuing heatwave, one thing that I had serious trouble finding was a cafe which has air conditioning and indoor seating. After perusing numerous reviews and photos online, I finally decided that Campos in Fortitude Valley would be quite a safe bet. We arrived not too late in the morning, at around 9AM. 


Finding parking near the James Street Market, there was a little confusion as to how to find our way into the restaurant. Unfortunately for us, there was still a short wait involved to get into the restaurant. 


Walking in, I noted quite a few tasty treats on display, but that morning I opted for their cooked breakfast.


After around 15 minutes though, we were shown inside, and got a cool dim seat in the back of the cafe. Throughout the whole of our visit, staff were visibly busy and it took quite a lot of attempts for us to get their attention each time. After being shown to our seats, it was a further 10 mins before menus were provided to us.


After quite a bit of following up, two of our three coffees arrived after a further 20 minutes. I had the V60 pour over, whilst one of my companions had the cold drip. Having tasted a bit of both, I thoroughly enjoyed the cold drip coffee which was cool, refreshing and full of body. The V60 was also really strong and gave me the caffeine hit I needed so badly.


My other companion's iced coffee came around 10 minutes after our other coffees, and not without much prompting from us to chase the drink down. He loved the fact that it was quite strong and the milk was super fresh.


At least our food came all at once, even though it was half and hour after our coffees came, and an hour after we had ordered.


My companion ordered the Bubble and Squeak Hash, which came with cheddar, ham, kale and cashew pesto, topped with eggs. The eggs were relatively undercooked compared to other ones we've tried before. The pesto was very tasty and the whole dish was super strongly flavoured, but the hash was a little more floury than we would have liked.


My other companion ordered the Scallop linguine with capers, herbs and white anchovy. The pasta was cooked al dente. Like with the bubble and squeak, the flavours in this dish were also very strong, and my companion really enjoyed it. 


Opting for a more traditional breakfast, I had the Campos Fry Up. The portion was very generous despite the fact that it only had one slice of sourdough. The eggs were more well done than the bubble and squeak, which I appreciated, and the flavours were a lot more milder than the other two dishes, so I had a better appreciation of the base flavours of the ingredients. It also helps that I prefer milder tasting meals to start off my day. The haloumi was grilled quite nicely, but the bacon was a little underdone, The tomatos were fresh and juicy and the mushrooms were also fried very well.


As a side, we shared a bowl of chips with aioli (after spying other tables with it and getting food envy). They were very crunchy and freshly fried, which I really appreciated. The aioli was quite smooth and flavoursome too.

Price Range: $20 - $30pp

Taste: 8.5/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 6/10
Environment: 7/10


Campos Coffee Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment